> Online resources >
Online resources for philosophy
This page is not intended to be a comprehensive list of philosophy resources on
the internet, though it contains links to sites that are. Instead,
it aims to list the key resources of which every postgraduate student in Scotland should
be aware. If you know of a site that perhaps should be listed here, or find any
broken links, then please inform the
The essential philosophy mailing list: carries details of calls for papers, conferences, seminars, jobs and
philosophy news, as well as some discussion.
- SCOT-PG-PHIL: Our own SPPA mailing list
carries news and conference, seminar and workshop information of specific interest to our members, including details and calls for
abstracts for SPPA seminar days. Subscribers are also welcome to use the list for discussion with other SPPA members.
Texts and journals
- The Athens Access Management system provides a login to a number of online services
subscribed to by universities, including the Philosophers Index and JSTOR. There will be university-specific rules for getting an
- JSTOR: JSTOR provides pdf versions of
articles over 5 years old from many philosopical journals. You may need an Athens login.
- Philosophers Index Database: The Philosophers Index is a
searchable database of philosophical publications (books and articles) accessible via an Athens login.
- Blackwell Synergy: Provided by Blackwell publishers.
Sign up for a Blackwell Synergy account and receive email notification of publication and
contents of philosophical journals published by Blackwell, including Analysis and Noûs. If your university
has an appropriate subscription, you may also be able to view full articles using an Athens login.
- E-Texts at Epistemelinks.com: Over 1600 links to electronic texts by famous philosophers throughout history, searchable by title keyword, philosopher or topic category.
- Philosophical Writings: A journal for postgraduates and new academics, published in the Philosophy department at the University of Durham.
Dictionaries and Encyclopaedias
Online resource catalogues